One of the biggest adventures I have taken was when I lived and studied in Dakar, Sénégal for an academic year. While there, I explored many parts of the city and found many favorite spots. Dakar, Sénégal might not be everyones first thought for a getaway, but there is so much to offer! Check out these 10 things you can do in Dakar.
Iles de la Madeleine This island is a hidden treasure in the hustle and bustle of Dakar. Situated just off the coast, this National Park features lagoons, birds, and nature abound. In my book it is a must see and a must do! To read more about the island check out this post.
- African Renaissance Monument Usually when you google Sénégal this monument is one the things that pops up. The monument is quite controversial but has great views of the city when you climb the steps to the top. If you are not so interested in going up, there are plenty of things to do on ground level. There are local vendors and beautiful sites all around.
- Les Mamelles Lighthouse and Beach Les Mamelles Lighthouse is a great way to see spectacular views of the city! A twenty minute walk with scenic views is well worth it. After you have experienced the lighthouse, you can stop by the beautiful beaches that surround it and rent an umbrella in the sun!
- Gorée Island Gorée Island is a must do while you are in Dakar. Not only is the island breathtakingly beautiful, it is an important historical site that sheds light on a dark past. While visiting you can learn more about the slave trade and its impacts by visiting the House of Slaves. The island can become a day trip or a casual stop by in your time in Dakar.
- Hôtel du Phare Movie and Music Nights Hôtel du Phare plays host to movie nights every Tuesday and music nights every Thursday. All of this takes place on their rooftop bar which is a great place to meet new friends and view the city.
- Ngor Island Whether you want to relax on the beach, surf, dine, or shop Ngor Island is your place. It is a great spot to spend a relaxing carefree day in Sénégal. If you want to read more or plan your visit this blog could be helpful.
- HLM Market HLM Market is the fabric market of Dakar! Of course you can buy fabric at other markets but this market is known for being one of the biggest in West Africa. If you want suggestions or tips on navigating this market I found this guide to be helpful!
- New Africa Restaurant and Salsa Club If you are looking for a place to sit down to eat or chill with friends New Africa is the place for you! Not only can you enjoy the tastes of Sénégal, but you can also participate in one of their many salsa nights.
- Mosque of the Divinity Along the corniche you can find the amazing Mosque of the Divinity. Whether you want to stop in or view from afar the mosque is a known landmark of the coast. If you walk around the mosque you will stumble upon a fish market and pirogues. All must sees when in Dakar.
- Malika Surf Camp Malika Surf Camp is a place for both beginner and experienced surfers. You can take a surfing class or just rent equipment to ride the waves!